By Amgbare Ekaunkumo, Yenagoa
Sir Edgar Tam Emmanuel Nanakumo was born on the 31st of August, 1957 at Angalabiri in present day Sagbama Local Government Area of Bayelsa State to the family of Late Nanakumo.
Sir Edgar Nanakumo had earlier primary education in Warri and then later proceeded to Hussey College for his secondary education and upon completion, he proceeded to University of Lagos (UNILAG), where he bagged his honorary degree in Computer Science in the year 1980. The enterprising young energetic Edgar Nanakumo later did his Masters degree in Strategic Studies in the University College, Ibadan in the 2006.
Sir Edgar T Nanakumo was enlisted into the Nigerian Police Force as a Cadet ASP (Course 10) in Police Staff College, Jos on the 1st of December, 1981. He was then commissioned as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP II) and posted to Kaduna State Command where he served at various administrative and leadership capacities. He was later detailed for training at the National War College (now National Defence College) in 2004.
In the year 1985, E. T Nanakumo deployed to ‘F’ department Computer Section, Force Headquarters, Obalende Lagos, where he served meritoriously for over fifteen (15) years holding and heading various positions within the Force. He had since then attended several other courses with outstanding performances.
His desire to acquire more skills and knowledge, Sir Edgar Tam Emmanuel Nanakumo further attended Computer Appreciation Course in Boston, United States America, USA, in 1986. He further attended Junior Command Course (JCC) at Police Staff College, Jos in 1987. He also attended Intermediate Command Course (ICC) at Police Staff College, Jos in 1992.
Some other courses he attended include but not limited to; Senior Command Course (SCC) at Police Staff College, Jos (1999), Management Course at Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON), Badagry (1999), National War (NWC) Course 13 in 2004/2005, where he won the Inspector-General of Police Prize for “Best Researched Paper on Internal Security NWC in 2004/2005”, and Leadership and Strategic Management Course, Centre for Management Development (CDM), Shangisha, Lagos (2010).
Apart from the above training courses acquired, Edgar Tam Nanakumo, has also participated in several Seminars, Workshops as well as National and International events in various Awards of Excellence, including the Nigeria Police Medal (NIP).
Sir Edgar Emmanuel Nanakumo, attended several study tours, some conducted by the National War College within and outside the country. He was of various professional associations including; Member Computer Professional of Nigeria (MCPN), Member Nigeria Computer Society (MNCS), Fellow Institute of Corporate Executives of Nigeria, Fellow War College (FWC), Fellow Institute of Corporate Administration (FCAI), “Sir Knight” of the Ancient and Noble Order of Knights St. John International (KSJI).
Sir AIG Edgar Tam Emmanuel Nanakumo was commissioned as Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP II) on the 1st of December, 1981. He rose through Officer’s ranks and flies of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) and ascended to the prestigious rank of Assistant Inspector-General of Police until his retirement in 2016 at the age of 59.
He was promoted to the rank of Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) 1st of December, 1983, later promoted to Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) 1st January, 1985. He later elevated to the rank of Superintendent of Police (SP) in 1st June, 1987, and Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) 1st March, 1993.
Sir Edgar Nanakumo later promoted to the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Police, 1st April, 1997 and Deputy Commissioner of Police in 1st July, 2001.
Due to his enterprising spirit and zeal to reach the highest rank in the Nigerian Police Force, he was further promoted as Commissioner of Police in the 8th of September, 2005 and Assistant Inspector-General of Police in 24th September, 2013.
Within his 35 years of meritorious of policing Nigeria, Sir AIG Edgar Tam Emmanuel Nanakumo held various appointments. These include:
* Divisional Traffic Officer Kafanchan, 1983.
* Divisional Crime Officer Malumfashi, from 1984-1985.
* O/P Operations Computer Sections Police Force Headquarters, Lagos, from 1985-1998.
* Force Computer Officer FHQ Lagos, from 1998 – 2000
* Area Command Owo, Ondo State, from June to December, 2000
* Deputy Commissioner of Police, Kaduna State Command, from 2001-2004.
* Commissioner of Police Kaduna State Command from January to August, 2006.
* Commissioner of Police ‘X’ Squad, ‘D’ Department (FCID) FHQ, Abuja fr August 2006 – June 2008.
* Commissioner of Police Abia State Command, from June 2008-Sept. 2009.
* Commissioner of Police Adminstration, ‘F’ Department (Planning, Research and Information Technology) FHQ Abuja from Sept. 2009 -March 2012.
* Commissioner of Police Ondo State Command, from March – June 2012.
* Commissioner of Police InfoTech, ‘G’ Department FHQ Abuja from June -Sept. 2012.
* Commissioner of Police Inspectorate, ‘E’ Department FHQ Abuja from Sept. 2012 – June, 2013.
* Assistant Inspector-General of Police Zone 12, Bauchi from July -November, 2013.
* Assistant Inspector General of Police Animal Branch (FAB), Department of Operations, FHQ Abuja, from November 2013-August, 2015.
* Assistant Inspector-General of Police Works, Department of Logistics and Supply (DLS) FHQ Abuja, from August, 2015-, June, 2016.
He served meritoriously with honours for 35 years until his retirement from service in June, 2016.
Sir AIG E.T Nanakumo engaged in several activities as hoobies, in keeping fit and relaxation of mind which include; reading, tennis, swimming, listening to music and dancing, and evangelization of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Late Edgar Tam Emmanuel Nanakumo is blessed with a wife, and six (6) children among them are four (4) boys, while the remaining two are girls; and many grandchildren.