Innocent Onoja with Agency Report
Kevin Hart announced on Twitter that he would step down from hosting the Oscars following homophobic tweets, which surfaced online.
The tweets, which he made between 2009 and 2011, included derogatory language towards gay people. Some of the tweets have now been deleted.
Hart made this announcement on Thursday, December 6, 2018, shortly after he posted a video on his Instagram page
saying that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences had issued him an ultimatum: “Apologize for past homophobic jokes, or lose the job.”
Kevin Hart, however, insisted that he would not apologize since he had already addressed the homophobic tweets, which he made from 2009 through 2011.
“I’ve moved on, and I’m in a complete different space in my life,” Hart said in the video, adding “You feed internet trolls, you reward them. I’m not gonna do it.”
Below is his tweets:
“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscars.
“This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists.
“I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past. I’m sorry that I hurt people… I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart.
Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”
However, Chad Griffin who is the head of an LGBT civil rights advocacy group called “ The Human Rights Campaign”, has reacted to Kevin Hart’s tweet.
“You have a rare opportunity to take responsibility, teach people in this moment, and send a message to LGBTQ youth that they matter and deserve dignity and respect. You say you’ve grown. Show us. Make amends for hurtful things you’ve said and affirm LGBTQ people,” Griffin said.