.. records one new death
By Amgbare Ekaunkumo, Yenagoa
The Bayelsa State Taskforce on COVID-19 says it has recorded nine confirmed cases among the 350 cases announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control on Thursday 4th June 2020, bringing the number of cases in the State to 30.
The Co-chairman of the Bayelsa State Taskforce on COVID-19, Dr Nathaniel Inodu, made the disclosure in a statement on Friday in Yenogoa.
“Yesterday, the NCDC in its usual manner announced 350 new confirmed COVID -19 cases.”
According to the permanent secretary, four of out of these nine cases are contacts of previously confirmed cases while five are not epidemiologically linked to any of the previous confirmed cases. Three of these cases are health care professionals.
Dr.Inodu said One of these fresh unlinked cases was brought in critically ill and died few minutes after admission. Following the history of the sickness as was revealed by relatives, samples were collected for COVID -19 testing. She died a COVID -19 suspected case.
He said the test result returned positive and as such and died of COVID -19 related complications making a total of three such deaths in the State.
Dr. Apoku said the death case has been buried by the State Task Force burial team.
The statement commended healthcare workers particularly the frontlines who have been tireless in their resolve and commitment to the COVID -19 response in the State.
He noted that the remaining eight new cases have since been evacuated for further treatment at one of the Isolation facilities. All their contacts are being line listed and adequately followed up including necessary environmental decontamination. Samples have and are still being collected from their high -risk contacts while they have all been counselled on self-quarantine. Risk communication and community engagement are ongoing.
He stated that the committee averagely send forty samples on daily basis to the UPTH Reference Laboratory, stressing that the core mandate of COVID -19 mitigation strategy is to test aggressively, isolate, treat and conduct robust contacts tracing.
He maintained that three cases were discharged yesterday, bringing fifteen active cases of COVID -19 in the State. All these cases are clinically stable.
The statement reads in part,”The State Government Quarantine Facility has since being admitting contacts who are unable to self-quarantine. They have been very cooperative while enjoying the luxury provided at this centre.
“The State Public Emergency Operations Centre (the COVID -19 Situation Room/ War Room of the State response) and the State COVID -19 Task Force are and will remain on REPONSE mode; doing their best to contain and mitigate the impact of this pandemic.
” There is need to re-emphasize that public vigilance is important while asking that patients should confide in their physicians the true case history of their ill health.
“We have also commenced active health facility and community case search for any case of Severe Acute Respiratory Infection (SARI) in our hospitals and communities respectively to have a sentinel insight into the importation and possible community transmission of COVID -19. Let me reiterate that we still believe in the opportunities and the gains of prevention and early detection while building our capacity to manage COVID-19 seamlessly.” he stated.
He advised Bayelsans to always adhere to the guidelines and measures put in place by the Federal Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization of social distancing, avoid public gathering and compulsory wearing of face masks.